Crown Lengthening in Simi Valley
Do you have excess gum tissue covering the root of your teeth, resulting in your teeth to appear short? If so, then crown lengthening in Simi Valley may be the perfect solution. Crown lengthening is a procedure performed by an experienced periodontist to create a healthy balance between the gum and underlying bone, which helps to expose teeth covered by excessive gum tissue. Crown lengthening reshapes the gum tissue so your teeth appear healthier, beautiful, and fuller. Crown lengthening can be done on a single tooth or several teeth, depending on your condition.
Why Choose Crown Lengthening?
There are many benefits that one can experience from crown lengthening, including:
- Improves periodontal health: When it comes to your gums, teeth, and the underlying bone, making sure that all three are up to par is essential to your oral health. If your teeth are decayed, broken, or worn, crown lengthening can be done to gain access to the gum line to restore the tooth’s health and overall function.
- Dental crown retention: Some patients may lack a sufficient amount of tooth structure and may need a crown or bridge restoration. Crown lengthening can increase the space between the jawbone and dental crown, which stops the new crown from damaging surrounding gum tissue and bone once it becomes secured.
- Cosmetic improvement: You may have heard of a gummy smile before. This occurs when there is excessive gum tissue that covers the root of the teeth, resulting in your teeth to appear short. Crown lengthening can be done as a cosmetic enhancement to improve the look of your teeth so they appear fuller and also improves the health of your teeth.
Crown Lengthening Procedure
During the procedure, your periodontist in Simi Valley will create a small incision in the gum tissue to fold back the gums from the tooth. This allows your periodontist to access the underlying bone and root to reshape and restore. Once the bone is exposed and the gum tissue has been removed, a permanent crown may be placed on the tooth. Depending on the patient’s condition, sometimes periodontists need to remove a small amount of bone around the tooth to create space for the crown. Once the reshaping and restoration is completed, your periodontist will clean the area and add stitches to the areas treated. Results are immediate; however, complete healing time varies from 4-6 weeks.
Post-Operative Care for Crown Lengthening
- Do not disturb the area
- Take medications and follow mouth rinses as prescribed
- Do not rinse or spit forcefully
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid hard foods
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods
- Do not use tobacco or cannabis products
- Avoid exercise for 1 week
- Do not brush or floss until instructed by our team
- Apply ice packs on the outside of your mouth to alleviate swelling
After your procedure, your periodontist will provide you with more in-depth post-operative care instructions to take home with you. If you are interested in learning more about crown lengthening and whether you are an ideal candidate, contact our team today!